Legal Services and Advocacy
We provide one-on-one counseling sessions with complainants of police misconduct. From this initial meeting, CNP will discuss the next steps in the complainant’s case. Assist citizens with writing up complaints against the Evanston Police Department. CNP will inform the complainant of the process, educate the complainant about his or her rights as a complainant, and be an advocate for the complainant at every step of the process, including hearings and appeals. CNP will also assist the complainant in obtaining relevant paperwork and evidence related to the complaint, such as body camera footage, police reports, and witness statements. Assist complainants to identify the relevant legal issues and police department policies that have bearing on their complaints. Contact us to get started.
Analysis and Evaluation
Research and report on best practices in policing, relevant laws, police accountability systems, civilian police review boards, use of force and de-escalation training, policing of people with mental health, drug policy, and reducing racially disparate impacts of police policies and objectives, and analyzing the effectiveness of those methods and best practices. Join us at our monthly meeting.
Freedom of Information Act Assistance
Assist requests to obtain information about the Evanston police department regarding matters such as stop and frisk, civil asset forfeiture, use of force directives, and history of complaints and lawsuits. Contact us to get started.
Resources on Community Oversight of Police
- The United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime Handbook on police accountability, oversight and integrity
- Campaign Zero policy solutions for community oversight
- The Center for Popular Democracy Toolkit for Promoting Justice in Policing
- The Movement for Black Lives best practices for community control of the police
- Getting It Right by former Executive Director of the ACLU of New Jersey Building Effective Civilian Review Boards to Oversee Police
- The Use of Statistical Evidence to Address Police Supervisory and Disciplinary Practices: The Chicago Police Department’s Broken System
- Youth/Police Encounters on Chicago’s South Side: Acknowledging the Realities
- An Effective System for Investigating Complaints Against Police: A study of human rights compliance in police complaint models in the US, Canada, UK, Northern Ireland and Australia
- How Far Are You Willing to Go against the Police? Evaluating the Effects of Citizen Affidavits in Chicago